Monday, September 28, 2009

Oh to be 5-years old again......

Sorry for the delay in posts. I find that all I want to talk about is my job--however, we all know that writing about your job on a blog is bad news. So I was waiting for inspiration. It came in the form of a "Where the Wild Things Are" trailer.


Words cannot describe how ecstatic I was upon seeing just the title of this movie on comingsoon.net. No really--I'm pretty sure there was crazy screaming from my room when I saw it (Tweens getting Hannah Montana tickets had nothing on me). My HTB came into the room asking me what happened. After telling him the exciting news all he did was shake his head and murmur what he tells me all the time.

"You're such a little kid"

After seeing the previews for WTWTA on TV for the first time I thought about this. I am always so happy about children's films. So my question to myself was, why do I get so excited about certain film's that are obviously made for children. My first thought about this was--what type of films am I talking about? I'm not talking about your disney movies like Enchanted or Hannah Montana the Movie. I'm talking about timeless ones. So here's my list of movies that I feel bring out the 5-year old in me.

I'm starting off with my most recent viewing, Ponyo. This was one of the most memorable ones for me right now because I watched it with HTB on my birthday, and I also was in Japan when it came out in theaters there.

From there, I go to all of the Miyazaki films-- Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro.

After that I go to my Disney vintages, Lion King, The Rescuers, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and, Fox and the Hound. I'm throwing in Lilo and Stitch as well (because I think it's the best thing that Disney has done in years).



There are many more but these will be enough to satisfy my argument.

These films without a doubt, no matter how many times you watch it have that moment. In Ponyo this is the moment where (*********spoiler alert*********) Sosuke is looking for his mom, but you know that Ponyo's life is on the line (***********end of spoiler************)

Another non-spoiler moment to use as an example would be my Neighbor Totoro when Mei goes missing and Satsuki is desperately looking for her.

These are moments that grip your heart, the first time you watch it you're hooked. After that, you just watch it over and over to get that same rush. It makes me jump up and down when Chihiro realizes Kohaku's real identity. It makes me sing along with your favorite disney characters (Tale as old as time....). It teaches me that ohana means family. It makes feel like I can do anything and forget about all the trouble that I'm currently dealing with. Suddenly, I'm 5-years old again and completely moved by that feeling.

I can't wait till October 16th. Maybe you'll see this version of me in theaters....

Thanks T-brenda for the e-mail. (isn't that easter bunny creepy? notice my ariel couture sweater.)


What makes you feel like you're 5-year old again?




2 comments:

Ryan said...

"It teached you"? perhaps "taught"? and yes i know you edited the line after i told you :P

-HTB

Brenda said...

I remember taking you to the movies...""let's go to the movies,TBrenda. You can take a nap!" Those were the sweetest naps..." Even back then, you were such a pushover! LOL... and a movie buff in he making!

 

D-E-F-E-N-E-S-T-R-A-T-E | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates