Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cursed Nine-Patches--AKA the Surf n'Turf Incident (Back-dated for your entertainment)

Opening Note: I was pulling up my strawberry post when I realized I forgot to post this when I got home! I am just letting everyone know now that this was meant to be posted on 2/2/2010.

Remember these from my last post?



I feel the need to explain--*mumbles* so that you people don't think that Series 7 Studying has completely wiped all sane thought processes from my brain.

So, about 2 weekends ago I went with DM to a Quilt retreat. During that time in the process of laying out my Wild Things From Oz quilt I snapped at the task of laying out the windmill-esque squares out. The isses was that I was having issues interspersing colors and patterns in a random-esque fashion (do you like my use of the ~esque to describe things? I do to).

In a cry of frustration I left Wild Things prone on the floor to think about it's insubordination--ie: not looking right when I laid out the blocks. And pulled out my back up project. It was a disappearing nine-patch project that cleverly dubbed surf and turf because the fabric lines I used had flowers and butterflies with fishes and seaweed. 
.
.
get it?
.
.
Surf n' Turf
.
.
*crickets chirp* *sigh* w/e
.
.
I angrily turned on my shiny new sewing machine (which currently has no name--will be rectified soon enough), and started sewing away. I was ironing out my seams still fuming about my Wild Things when DM brought to my attention that my seams looked awfully big. I scoffed at the thought that my *brand new* sewing maching would be messing up  my seams. Then I realized something that made me curse few time.
.
.
.
My brand new sewing machine HAD been messing up my seams. BUT IT WAS ALL MY FAULT!! I took a deep breath, looked at the wild things on the floor and decided I would try my seams once more with a second block with a different way of measuring my seam allowance.
.
.
.
success!!
.
.
.
until I lined it up with the first one
.
.
.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
.
.
.
This happened 2 more times, then, after 2 seam rippings, a change of presser foot and a bent needle (the bent needle is a whole other nightmare). None of the blocks match and I STILL don't know why!!! This is why I've concluded that the nine-patch is cursed and has been banished from my sight until further notice.


Good bye cute-ness. 

Until I forget that I have to rip a multitude of seams to start all over. 


--signing off for now--
dre

No comments:

 

D-E-F-E-N-E-S-T-R-A-T-E | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates